Five reasons to do a digital audit
With over £5.2billion being spent online in the UK last year, there’s no question that digital should form a major part of your marketing spend.
Demonstrating return on investment is always a priority and as marketing professionals we all know it’s best to plan future investment based on real data. ‘If you can’t measure it, how do you know it’s working’ you hear your finance director reel.
But where should you start when it comes to measuring ROI on your digital spend? Should you put more money in the pot for PPC or would you be better investing in social media awareness and engagement?
Here are five reasons why you should do a digital audit:
- It helps you to make the most of your existing website. It might look like a graphic designer from heaven made it, but is your website really delivering leads? Can both Google and more importantly, internet users who might not know your business name, find you by searching for relevant keywords and phrases? Examples might be that your images and videos aren’t properly optimised, that you don’t have a site map or that your meta tags aren’t named appropriately for Google Search. An audit can troubleshoot any issues that need solving.
- It saves you money. For those i.e. all of us who like to save money, a digital audit will define a tailored strategy for your business online. If you’ve never looked at data on how leads convert, why and where people leave your site, which landing pages are driving the most traffic and which blog posts attract the most views and shares, how can you measure what’s working and what isn’t?
- You find out who your online competitors are (n.b. they could be totally different to those in the real world). A digital audit helps to assess who else is in the mix on your Google search results. It shows you which keywords you should target (for both SEO and PPC) for the best value and results.
- It helps demonstrate Return on Investment (ROI). A digital audit will set metrics by which you can benchmark your current digital position to help you spend wisely on marketing for future investment and growth.
- We did one and we’re reaping the rewards. The Wrapped Agency is a strategic marketing agency and we like to practice what we preach. Having a digital audit done on our own business has helped us to define our long term digital and content strategy, create lead generating landing pages, identify the most valuable keywords for our SEO and PPC activity and create a compelling social media plan on the most relevant channels.
A digital audit allows you to see how well your business or brand is doing online. As well as defining the amount of potential customers you are missing out on, it provides a data driven benchmark for your future digital marketing strategy. Looking at SEO, PPC and Social media as well as your website from Google’s point of view.
If you would like to find out more about how a digital audit can help your business, please contact us on 0113 8730100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Rachel Clark is Brand and PR Director at Wrapped. She has over 15 years of brand management and corporate communications experience gained both in agencies and in house at Red Bull and Savills. Rachel now advises major brands and medium sized firms on their growth marketing strategies email@example.com @rachelmclarkpr